Hit and Run Illinois Traffic

What Should I do After a Hit-and-Run?

Being involved in a car accident is never easy. There can be serious injuries sustained, insurance claims to handle, medical bills to pay, and car damages to repair. One thing that makes this situation worse is if the other car does not stop after the accident. Under Illinois statute, leaving the scene of an accident when that accident results in personal injury or death is a Class 4 Felony. There are serious consequences related to this, including hefty fines, a prison sentence, and the possibility of a civil lawsuit by the injured party to recover damages, including punitive damages.

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, there are a few things that you must do.

  • Treat Injuries: If you have been in a car accident, the first priority is to make sure that you are safe and that any injuries are being attended to. Seek medical attention for anyone who is injured right away.
  • File a Police Report: Even if the other car involved in the accident flees the scene, contact local law enforcement immediately to report the accident. The police will come to the scene of the accident and make a record of the accident that can be used in future legal battles.
  • Document Damages: While at the scene of the accident, you should take photographs of the damage that was done to your car. Also, you should take photos of the surroundings and any other circumstances that may have caused the accident, like hidden signs, large potholes, or any other environmental factor. In addition to photographs, keep track of any documents relating to the crash. Keep a record of the police report, expenses for repairing your car, doctor’s notes, and medical bills. These photographs and documents will be used in future litigation or insurance claims to prove your damages.
  • Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company: In addition to making a police report, you also need to call your insurance company and inform them of the accident and damages. Under most insurance policies, you cannot collect insurance proceeds when the responsible driver cannot be found, but there could be the potential to recover under uninsured motorist coverage.
  • Consult an Attorney: Contacting an experienced attorney is essential to make sure that the hit-and-run is handled in the appropriate way. If you have sustained injuries in a hit-and-run accident, there is the possibility of recovery. If the responsible driver is found, you may be able to file a personal injury suit to recover damages. There is the possibility of recovery for medical bills, lost wages, future pain and suffering, and even punitive damages.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a hit-and-run, contact Hamilton & Antonsen, Ltd. The Joliet personal injury attorneys will make sure that you receive the just compensation to which you are entitled. Contact us today and we will help you through this difficult time.

Personal Injury Settlements In Will County Bankruptcy

I’m always saddened when a Will County bankruptcy client who has been seriously injured faces financial issues in addition to health issues. Unfortunately, health and money problems frequently go hand in hand. In addition to dealing with mounting medical bills you may not be able to work. If you don’t work you don’t get paid, or you get paid a small portion of your previous earnings through disability insurance. In situations like these, your debt may grow until it far outweighs your assets. You may no longer be able to keep up with your bills. When financial problems become severe, you may need to file bankruptcy.

If you’ve filed a personal injury lawsuit but also need to file bankruptcy, you may wonder how this will impact your case. You may be under the erroneous impression that filing bankruptcy means that you lose every cent and possession you own. What you might not know is that there are certain “exemptions,” or property you are allowed to keep.

Depending upon your situation, you may be able to protect your lawsuit, or at least a portion of it. Depending upon the laws in your state, personal injury compensation may be exempt up to a certain amount. For example, in Illinois, personal injury compensation is exempt up to $15,000. You may receive additional personal injury revenue if in compensation for future earnings. Workers compensation benefits and death revenues for a person you depended upon may also be exempt.

When you file bankruptcy all of your assets, including your personal injury suit, become property of your bankruptcy estate. In order to claim an exemption, you must first list the asset. If the asset is not disclosed, you can’t exempt it.

There are a few other good reasons to include your personal injury case in your list of assets. First of all, it’s illegal not to. Second, if you fail to disclose your personal injury case in your bankruptcy filing, you can bet the insurance company’s attorney will try to get your case dismissed.

Chances are, your Joliet bankruptcy attorney and your Will County personal injury attorney will be two different individuals. In order to ensure the best outcome for both your bankruptcy and your personal injury suit, make sure that both attorneys are aware of the other situation. You can recover from both bankruptcy and injury, but it helps to have the right legal guidance.